Saturday, July 26, 2008

Recipe: Spanish Rice

No pictures today. Sorry. But I made this yummy dish last night and thought y'all might like to try it. It is another one of those big bang for your effort buck pleasers. I serve it with chicken enchiladas, chicken tacos, or burritos.

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Cooking Oil
2 Tbsp. Butter or margarine
2 Cups Long grain rice
1 medium Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed

1-15 ozCan Tomatoes, diced
1 Cup Frozen peas (sometimes I use frozen veggie combo with peas, carrots, and corn)
4 Cups Chicken broth, unsalted
1/4 Cup Packed fresh Cilantro -OR- 2 Tbsp dried cilantro
2 tsp Salt

Heat oil and butter in a 4 qt or larger saucepan over medium-high heat. When butter is melted, add rice and cook, stirring, until very lightly browned. Add onions and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes (although I never go this long for fear of burning the rice). Add tomatoes, frozen peas, chicken broth, cilantro, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (25-30 minutes).

Note: if you use canned chicken broth that has salt added, you must cut down on or eliminate the extra salt at the end of the recipe.

Make this wonderful side dish this week.

You won't regret it. I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy!!! I will have to try it. My family has loved the other recipes you have posted and I am sure that this will be no different. :)

    ReplyDelete