Monday, August 25, 2008

Girls' Night Out

Last Monday night I went out with two of my favorite people; Jessica, my fellow sister-outlaw (SOL), and Amidey, aka ETPQ. We went to see Mamma Mia, the utterly ridiculous chick-flick musical based on the music of ABBA. It was silly and and outrageous, with lots of tacky innuendo and bad singing. My husband would have hated it. But it was perfect for three women in the mood to cut loose and go crazy.

I would have posted a picture of this wild and crazy group, except that some people whine excessively when a camera is aimed at them. You know who you are. (Hint: It wasn't me. Or Jessica either.)

Because it was Monday night, all the good Mormons (i.e., not us) were home holding Family Home Evening or tucking their beloved small fry into bed, and the theater was completely EMPTY when we arrived. Jessica WaaaaHoooooo-ed her approval, I pumped an enthusiastic fist in the air, and Amidey began wriggling with excitement and declared that she was going to dance through the entire movie. A few minutes before showtime, a young couple took up residence on the back row above us. I suggested that maybe she should limit her celebrations to sit-dancing.

We sat on the front row of the top section of stadium seats, and stretched our legs out until our feet perched on the top rail in front of us. It was then that Jessica and I noticed the simply adorable tan canvas 3-inch platform pumps that Amidey had on her miserable little size 7 feet. Suddenly I understood why I felt like I was walking next to a Barbie Doll on the way into the theatre - this lunatic was 6 feet tall to my not quite 5'8". Jessica stuck her comfy Crocs clad footsies up while I displayed my nerdy brown leather loafers. Jessica and I looked at one another in mutual envious disgust, joined hands in our secret SOL handshake, and made a blood pact that for any future Girls' Nights there will be a "comfortable and casual" dress code enforced, with emphasis on the force.

We laughed, danced, and sang our way through the silly movie. The young couple tired of theater necking about 90 minutes in and headed for their car, at which point I granted Amidey permission to let loose. It was quite a show. There was a dare accepted and attempted. Please direct any photo or video inquiries to hippocricyatgmaildotcom.

Coming out of the theater, we were laughing so hard I regretted my decision to skip the ladies' room on the way out. None of us was ready to go home, so we set off in search of a restaurant still open at 11:35pm, with the intent of calming ourselves by devouring large amounts of sugar and fat. The rest of the evening is a little hazy. I do remember debilitating laughter, an almost food fight, and the overconsumption of large quantities of ice cream, caramel, chocolate, and cheesecake. Someone laughed so hard they began to cry. I was finally forced to take that potty break. But at no time was there reckless driving, profanity, over-sharing, or violence. I am the bishop's wife, after all.

I can't wait to do it again.

5 comments:

  1. Okay chick! Let's be a little more honest here. Yes I did wear platform shoes but I don't recall you showing up in your pajamas. In fact I recall you had a nice sheen of lip gloss which for you makes it a FORMAL occasion. As for no reckless driving or PROFANITY, you are such a LIIIIIAAARRRR! Sure you can share all my wreckless behavior but you better admit to a little of your own. The bishops wife...HA!

    btw, When can we go again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay seriously that was so funny and just what I needed this morning! Thanks so much! I love GNO's and wish I had them all.the.time! Not just once in a while! :)

    You are hilarious! I haven't seen MamaMia, but it looks like I am going to have to gather some of my girls and go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER FUN!!! I can't remember the last time I did something like this. I will have to figure out how to do it since I tend to be so very bad at it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember the last time I did that either! I'll have to set something up. You're very inspiring!!
    Hey thanks for swinging by my blog today. I laughed about your post because it seems like that happens to me all the time. Arggg.

    I'll look forward to yours, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. Now I know the purpose of that silly idea. I made the HUGE MISTAKE of going to see the broadway play with my husband and paying top dollar ($136), since I love ABBA and Grease, and had heard from people who loved it. It was so bad, in fact it was the worst date we have ever been forced to endore. There should have been a warning NO STRAIGHT MEN ALLowed. However, we are so cheep that we stayed to the end hoping it would get better.

    I'm so glad you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete