Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ward Bulletin now features Personal Ads

As I am wont to do at the beginning of our church worship services, I picked up the weekly church bulletin as we walked in the chapel. I scanned the announcements disinterestedly; it was the usual blather -- Young Women's pedicure party on Wednesday; Elder's Quorum Meat Fest on Saturday; Please get your fabric donations for the Relief Society Humanitarian project to Sister Sew and Sew by Thursday afternoon, etc.

I was just about to fold the program in half and hand it to my son the origami expert when an unusual announcement at the bottom of the page caught my eye.

WANTED: New Friend

I am going through kind of a rough time and my current friends are just not working out. They insist on having lives of their own and trying to actually help me improve myself when all I want is someone to vent to. I am looking for someone who will fill my every need and boost my self esteem while distracting me from my problems.

Desired Qualifications:
  • Preferably fatter, plainer, and less educated than I am.
  • Must not bake bread, cook from scratch, sew, garden, or possess any other skill or talent that will make me feel inferior or self conscious in any way.
  • Must not be judgmental of my choices, but always willing to engage in scintillating discussions about the rest of the ward.
  • Willing to pester all your friends and family to attend my Pampered Chef, Discovery Toys, Avon, and Stampin' Up parties.
  • Have the same background and life experiences as me so that you can empathize with my every trial.
  • Be available to talk, shop, or watch my children at my convenience and at a moment's notice.
  • Have minor weaknesses and problems of your own so that I don't feel like a loser, but not so much that it distracts from talking about my stuff.
  • No problem solving experience required; excellent listening and validating skills preferred.
  • Housekeeping standards just a little bit lower than mine a plus.
Sooo tempting. I'd apply for the position, but I think I might wring her neck. That's probably not in keeping with the whole Bishop's Wife image thing I've got going.

13 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT, girlfriend! You nailed it right on the head.

    High Five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially loved the sister sew and sew. Nice play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are not serious right? lol! I am busting a gut right now! I love that! lol! Was there a moral meaning to this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i fit a good description of A NEW FRIEND FOR YOU!!!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i fit a good description of A NEW FRIEND FOR YOU!!!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it really in the bulletin? That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must not bake bread, cook from scratch, sew, garden, or possess any other skill or talent that will make me feel inferior or self conscious in any way.

    Lisa, you don't qualify!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't it be cool if we could all simply ask for what we needed, though? (In a non-neurotic way, I mean.)

    Do some women really seek friends they can feel superior to? I really can't relate. Maybe that's means I am the less attractive one. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Have minor weaknesses and problems of your own so that I don't feel like a loser, but not so much that it distracts from talking about my stuff." Okay, that is the best one! Not too perfect but keep me the center of attention. I have such great freinds, I too worry,hiccups, that I am the friend that makes them feel better in contrast. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was too true to be funny.

    At least where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, happy mommy, I'm sorry. That's the thing about satire - it's humor with fangs, and sometimes it bites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here I give you linky love on the Modern MOlly Mormon site and you are hatin' on my Hip-Hop song! lol!

    It's all right...it has nothing to do with humor...it has more to do with choice of music...I grew up listening to all kinds of stuff...

    BUt I can understand how people wouldn't like it! So all is well! :)

    ReplyDelete