Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Darn! The computer isn't ruined!

We had power outages on Sunday afternoon and evening. Several times, the power flicked out, only to come on briefly again later. The first time it happened, the kitchen computer was on. So was the office computer, but it is protected by an UPS (uninterruptible power supply), so it didn't flick off when the power did.

Later, after the power came back on, we tried turning on the kitchen computer. Nothing. No whirring fan, no normal boot up sounds. Nada. Uh. Oh.

So since then Tom and I have taken turns diagnosing the problem. It may just have been the power supply. Or the whole motherboard could be fried. Secretly I hope the latter was true. Early Monday morning I woke up coughing and finally just got up. To pass the hours before dawn, I got online and researched what it would cost to upgrade the dead computer. I found that if I was willing to go with last year's technology, I could get a new motherboard and CPU, with plenty of RAM for $200. And it would be a serious upgrade in speed from what we had. I began to get excited.

Alas, today I put another power supply in the computer and it booted up perfectly. In fact, I am writing this entry on it. So, I guess no upgrades for now. Tom wisely reminded me that he hasn't in fact begun working yet, and the first paycheck from said future job won't come for two weeks after he starts. Kill Joy. Isn't he lucky that I am a woman of much self restraint, because Woot had a killer deal on Roomba too.

5 comments:

  1. I used to say the same thing about my prior car. I was in 3 accidents--none of which were my fault. I so desperately wanted to get my car totaled so someone else could pay for my new car. But, praying for financial disaster for someone else just doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it... Maybe it is good in the long run. :) By the way, I am so impressed with your personal restraint. It is almost as good as when I passed up Cadbury Mini Chocolate Eggs last Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah right, you bought those, didn't you? or were those eggs a whole year old? uh oh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I would like to have a better motherboard on all of the computers. Just don't replace the hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, I bought the Cadbury Mini Eggs that Jen so righteously resisted. And I would like to say that they were HEAVEN. Worth every inch on my hips.

    I agree about the motherboard/CPU upgrades, Nathan. I hope to work on getting at least one of the computers upgraded after we get back from Yellowstone. ;)

    ReplyDelete