Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chick Update - one week old

Thanks for the hilarious entries in our "name that chicken" contest. We have enough birds for all the names given, so consider yourselves all winners. My congratulations to you all.


Okay, so I'd read that chicks that are bred for meat production grow fast, but HOLY COW, do they grow fast!!

Remember this little guy? He easily fits in the palm of Megan's hand.



This is the same chick, one week later.


And here he is trying to fly away.

Their growth rate is insane, I'm telling you.



Here's a pic of the four hens in the hands of our good friend Aubryn. Their names are, left to right: ? (Susan), Junie B. Jones, (Megan), Tab (Karianne), and Yulia (translation: feathered beard - according to Nathan). Unfortunately, my children did not wait for our little blog contest before naming their hens. Maybe Susan can still be influenced. She likes chocolate and money.

The hens are growing, but not so fast as the mutant monster meat birds. I'll be separating them soon, I think, since the box is getting a mite crowded.


I am going to try to get a watermelon crate from the grocery store... barring that, I have another computer box, which will cut down on the population density. Plus, we're moving these little buggers to the garage, because I'm tired of having my laundry room smell of chicken crap.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. i am glad the chicken raising is going great so far and i am all for your laundry room not smelling like chicken crap. it looks so nice it should smell nice too. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how big will they be by May 30 when I return for a visit?

    ReplyDelete